A new kind of scam has been making waves recently, Local Depot GB Scam Text. It is allegedly from UK Post Office, and contains a link to local-depot-gb.com. Recipients are required to confirm the settlement of £1.45 redelivery fee.
The text message goes like this –
“Your parcel is waiting for delivery, please confirm the settlement of £1.45 on the following link local-depot-gb.com”
This text message looks unharmful, but sadly it falls into a kind of scam called ‘Phishing scam‘
Local Depot GB Scam Text Website at local-depot-gb.com
local-depot-gb.com is a malicious website. It isn’t the real United States Postal Service website. Clicking on it takes you to a portal that tricks you into paying £1.45 redelivery fee. This is were the scam comes in. You’ll be required to provide your credit card and security code. When you do so, it’ll be used against you.
Endless debit would be made to your credit card.
What Should You Do If You Receive Phishing Text Messages like this one?
- Do not open it. In some cases, the act of opening the phishing email may cause you to compromise the security of your Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
- Delete it immediately to prevent yourself from accidentally opening the message in the future.
- Do not download any attachments accompanying the message.
- Never click links that appear in the message. Links embedded within phishing messages direct you to fraudulent websites.
- Do not reply to the sender. Ignore any requests the sender may solicit and do not call phone numbers provided in the message.
- Report it. Help others avoid phishing attempts:
Meanwhile, if you have any information about the Local Depot GB scam text, please share in the comment below. Remember to include the telephone number the text message came from. See similar scam text messages; Fips Parcel, ParcelForce, etc.