Did you receive a text message from Jen at Tobin Research requesting your help with a short confidential survey? Don’t panic! Thousands of people have received this text message, and as a result of this we decided to provide answers to your worrying questions.
What is Tobin Research?
Tobin Research appears to be a non-profit organization that deals with surveys. Sadly, it is not a real company. The name ‘Tobin’ was chosen to fool people into thinking it is somehow connected to the legitimate Tobin Project. As of August 2020, lots of people received similar text messages from ‘Jen’ at Tobin Research telling them to please complete a confidential survey.
Currently in 2023, lots of Americans have received same text message. This time, the survey and text message is for people living in Michigan. The survey website is michiganopinionpoll.link.
What Happens If you Partake in the Tobin Research Survey?
The survey contains the following questions –
Do you live in Michigan? What do you think of how Joe Biden is handling his job as President? What do you think of how the Michigan state legislature is handling their job in Lansing? etc.
They don’t ask you for any personal information or any identifying information. However, the questions are set up in such a way that gather false poll data. It seems they want you to disagree with your local representatives.
Dangers of Survey Scam
- Be asked to fill out personal information that is then processed to add you to a spamming list.
- Be asked to fill out personal and financial information that results in identity fraud and/or follow-on phishing attempts.
- Unwittingly install malware on your machine by visiting the scam site.
- Sometimes the survey site may even flash up fake AV warnings.
- Malware could steal your login details for banking or crypto accounts, encrypt your files unless you pay a ransom (ransomware), co-opt your machine into a botnet etc.
- Be asked to pay some money for nothing, such as membership of a group which will share details of paid surveys with you.
- Be hit with an advanced fee scam – e.g., where you’re asked to pay a small fee in return for a prize that never materializes.
Tobin Research Survey otherwise known as Tobin Study is a suspicious survey that attempts to gather false polling data. Beware! Tobin Research is not related to Tobin Project!