A new kind of scam has been making waves in Canada lately. Fake CBSA officials claiming there’s an illegal package in your name, and threatening to arrest you.
This scam is becoming popular and lots of people have fallen prey to the fraud scheme. So how do these scammers work? How can you know a fake CBSA official?
How Do These Scammers Work?
According to reports left by victims, the scammers claim they have an illegal package ( containing drugs, money and fraudulent document) with your name in it.
When the scammers make the call, an automated message ask you press 1, before requesting personal information, including SIN, date of birth, name, address, and account balances.
Then they impersonate a police officer and ask you to send monetary payments to settle the issue.
This is where the scam comes in. You’d be given a ‘safe account’ to deposit into. Once you do, more money will be requested from you.
These scammers have written a beautiful script, got good impersonators, and now they’re playing with our emotions!
How To Spot A Fake Canada Border Services Agent
Firstly, he/she asks for your social insurance number and credit card number. The CBSA never initiates such request by telephone, text message or email. Secondly, the CBSA doesn’t use police officers to request money from you, not by call, text message or email.
Though the telephone calls may display numbers and employee names that falsely appear to be from the CBSA, If you observe carefully you’d notice the strange accent.
Below are other tips to help you avoid this scam;
- No information should ever be given to a person over the phone until you are satisfied they are who they say they are (after doing your own investigation)
- Look up the phone number to the police agency/government agency they say they are calling from and confirm it by calling there yourself.
- Always have it at the back of your mind that a real police officer would not ask you for money through a phone call, message or email.
- Ask for help from a member of your family or a trustworthy friend if you are unsure about a call or request received requiring payment.
- Don’t feel pressured and do not send money on behalf of your relative/friend
If you receive suspicious telephone calls requesting money, please hang up and report it to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or through their online reporting tool.
Have you been contacted by a fake CBSA employee? Please share your experience and opinion in the comment section below. See another kind of scam targeting Canadians & Americans here
- Wendy is a fraud fighter whose contents mainly target online scams. Her investigations have appeared on Itisreviewed,and elsewhere. She spends her free time reading novels, binging on Netflix, and listening to hip-hop.
- ONLINE STORE REVIEWS2023.05.27Mazalti.com Reviews: Is Mazalti Scam Jewelry Store Ripping Off Buyers?
- ONLINE STORE SCAM2023.05.27Echt-au.com Reviews 2023: Echt-AU Scam Revealed!
- REVIEWS2023.05.24Is Gonift Scam? Here’s my Experience Using Nift gift card on gonift.com
- SCAMS2023.05.23Harbor Freight Winner Scam Email 2023: Fake Tools Giveaway!
what if they have an arest warrant number and an id number , then they told me not to tell anyone for 42 hours and then they will contact me again.. I went on my bank statement to tell them the amount of my balance.. they had personel information on my family members.. I am requesting for some advice here.
Ignore them, or better still go to the police. Don’t make any payment. Don’t disclose your SIN or credit card info. Be wise
My wife and i have received these call ,about a dozen each in past 2 days. We just hang up, or dont answer when repeated calls from same #.
Just infuriating , has to be a way to shut these low lifes down.
They asked for my account balance and i told them it was -$100 and they hung up on me. i tried to call the number back and it was not a real number.
I laughed aloud when i read good impersonators. My officer was “felix thomas”, not with that accent you weren’t.
My wife confirmed her name as Janice Doe which h ereplied ok i have your file here.. my god these guys are dumb. keep them on the line as long as you can for a laugh just dont give them any of your real info. My buddy got a call today and said he was bob dole lol