Have you received a text message or email from Jeffrey Preston Bezos CEO and president of Amazon.com, claiming your email has won you $2.5 million ? Don’t be deceived! It is a scam. Read this article to find out how this scam works, and how to avoid being a victim.
The Jeffrey Preston Bezos Scam
Since 2021, scammers have been impersonating Jeff Bezos, the American founder of Amazon. The scammers send text messages or emails to recipients, claiming that their email address have won them some money.
The email looks like this-
This look so convincing, and might make you think you are lucky. However, this is a scam! when we sent a mail to the email address we were given a telephone number to call. This is where the scam comes in;
The scammers asked us to send money, which they claim is for taxes, processing fees, delivery fee, or some other fee. The funny thing was that they want it to be in Bitcoin!
You know what happens when you make a bitcoin transaction right? It’s untraceable. You can’t track the person at the other end or make a complaint. This is why scammers always chose bitcoin.
Meanwhile, these scammers also impersonate other lottery winners, Cristy Davis, Daniel Bellefuile, etc. Always remember that Legitimate charity projects do not ask their winners to send money or personal information in order to collect their prizes.
How To Avoid Being a Victim To Scams
In order to keep your personal data safe and secure, follow these basic guidelines:
- Kindly ignore any messages, voice mails or emails that seem too good to be true
- Search online to see if there are reports or proofs backing a suspicious call or text
- Never click on a link from an unknown or unsolicited sender. This includes links received in text messages and emails.
- Report the call.
- Beware of messages that your account is at risk. These might appear to legitimately come from a company you do business with, but often there are typos in the message.
- Never give out your passwords, crypto wallet keys, or other sensitive information. This applies online as well as over the phone.